Re: Writing a GNOME mail client.

+++ Sat, Apr 17, 1999 at 10:57:18AM -0700 +++
Scott Wimer e-mails me. Film at 11. Reply right now, after the break.
> Michael,
> you're not talking email clients here.  You're talking something much
> broader.  Something almost yahooish.  Organized data storage mechanisms.
> Maybe that's something we need to turn our thoughts to as a group.
> How can we organize the data in our life in the most flexible and easy
> to use manner?  for all sorts of different meanings of "easy to use".
> Maybe an architecture like this would be a start.  This is rough, I'm
> working this up just out of the shower. :)
>                            Message Storage System
> A Message is any document (email, image, raw text, URL, etc)
> Each message stored is given a unique ID.

A file name?

> (Basically, a public dB key
> if you will).

> Each Message may be tagged as belonging to any number of subject areas.

That is, hardlinked into a number of directories?

> 	In the common case, most Messages will only belong to a single
> 	subject area.
> An index of each subject areas will be maintained on the fly.

Directory listings?

> However,
> this index needs to be able to be regenerated from the Messages
> themselves in the event of an index corruption.  This means we'd need to
> store the tagging with the Message.
> Standard dB tools

Such as a Unix filesystem?

> should let us build something like this.  We could even
> make default 'Themes' of subject areas for folks who really don't feel
> like taking the time to create their own.
> We'll probably find ourselves needing to use gecko or something like it
> for the display engine of the various Messages, since it can handle a
> whole lot of data types.
> Am I just whizzing in the dark here?  Or does this sound like a decent
> aproach to this problem?

It sounds like there is no need to invent a complete database system
here; the filesystem plus some metadata is good enough.

Please, please, don't reinvent the wheel. Hardlinks are really nice.

Check out the Frequently Rehashed Topics on comp.os.linux.advocacy!
Report dead links to or