Re: GNOME Open/Save Dialog - where did this thread go to

>I remember there was some talk about a special gnome open/save
>dialog. What happened? Is this feature planed in gnome 1.2 (or
>whatever the next major release will be).

There was some talk of it on gnome-gui, which I sort of kicked off
with this proposal:

  http://samiam.olywa.net/justo/gnomeui/fileselection.html

Debate centered around the little folder icon, which is an explicit
way to access a selection's context menu.  And, lest I forget it, the
little desktop icon started a big debate.  The reasoning for that was
to make it so our moms didn't have to learn the FHS.

If that were all we did, our moms wouldn't be able to get to that
disk you're talking about.  My solution was to have gmc provide
virtual file-objects which pointed to the right directory.  What's
more, documentation would be accessed through a bookshelf icon, a la
OS/2's WPS.

If we did this, getting to a different drive would be as elegant as
it is with the Mac.  Jump to your desktop, and there are the drives
listed at the top.

If I may sell my idea a bit more: the file-selection dialog I
proposed shared its most essential interface elements with my
proposed gmc:

  http://samiam.olywa.net/justo/gnomeui/gmcmockups.html

As I envisioned it, they would be the same thing: a CORBA service
provided by gmc.  Since selecting files is such a fundamental
activity (consider how much we use cd and ls compared to, say, wc),
this kind of consistency would be a major boon to usability.

Justin