Re: gnome-terminal exits immediately under Solaris 2.6

On Fri, Apr 16, 1999 at 11:03:28AM +0100, Mark R. Bowyer wrote:

> > From: Lyndon Drake <lyndon@stat.auckland.ac.nz>
>
> > When I try running gnome-terminal, the border of a window flashes briefly on
> > screen.  This is the case whether I am running gnome-session or not.  I tried
> > running it under gdb, and it steps through the initilisation without any
> > problems, but after entering gtk_main, it quits.
>
> Very odd.  I compile on Solaris 2.6 but run myself on Solaris 8_alpha.  I get
> the window popping up OK, but for the last 2 attempts to build GNOME (current
> and 1.04 CORE) the window pops up and just sits there with just a flashing
> cursor - no prompt.  Everything else seems fine.
>
> This is a shame, coz it worked fine afer we got the deamon problems fixed just
> in time for the initial 1.0 release =O(
>
> Could this crash be down to a similar problem with grabbing the pty's that's
> been recently introduced?

I really don't know what could be the problem.  I'm not a Solaris expert,
but I really want to get Gnome going by the end of next week.  It's a new
server, and I think people will like Gnome better than fvwm.  The terminal
isn't really essential, as people can just continue using xterms, but it
would be nice to get it going.

If I knew anything about how Solaris pty's worked, I would try and fix it
myself.  Hopefully someone else more knowledgable than me will have some
idea of what the problem is.

Thanks,
Lyndon