Re: strange gnome-terminal behaviour

On Thu, 15 Apr 1999, Dean Elhard wrote:

[snip: terminal hanging on exit using gdm]

> Yes it only happens when run from gdm.  Are you still seeing this
> behaviour or did you find a workaround or some other solution.  I
> am getting really frustrated trying to figure out where this is
> coming from, especially since it doesn't seem to be directly related
> to the program that isn't working.
>
> Sorry about the long, delay, but I had already deleted all of the
> rpms and reinstalled everything clean, and the problem went away.
> Now I have re-built the whole deal from source and it is back
> again. . .

Sorry, I updated gnome-{libs,core} and gdm to CVS (16 Apr) and I'm still
seeing this behaviour. The funny thing is that if you open an xterm (or
equivalent) and launch gnome-terminal from it that is a well-behaved
terminal!!
Try this: launch gnome-terminal A (from panel), from A launch
gnome-terminal B, now in B type 'exit'. B exits correctly. Now in A type
'exit': A is still open with a zombie bash.
And repeated experiments with strace/gmc show that the signal handler of
the terminal is correctly set to sigchld_handler (as it should be, I
think). But the terminal never gets the signal (even strace shows it).

I don't know what might be causing it. (Kernel bug?? Panel messing with
program launching? Bug in gnome-terminal?)

Workaround: don't use gdm :-(

Anyone else on this list using gdm is seeing this?
Zun.