vanishing panel redux

Running the new RedHat base RPMs on a laptop

This may or may not be new. Starting from the "foot" to panel / add applet /
monitors / battery charge monitor and mouse click makes the panel vanish,
and I'm left with the background (default). I've added a couple of other
applets with out problems.

In other news, how can I keep the " gnome help browser " from appearing
every startup? ( when I want its opinion, I"ll ask it (once I get ppp
working)). I've hunted around for a way to disable it with no luck.

Bob   rwsmith@cnw.com