Help?

Hello everyone,

I just joined, the listserv and didn't see an answer to my question in a
quick perusal of the archives, forgive me if I overlooked it...

Here's the deal:  I'm trying to install GNOME ona a RH5.2 box with kernel
2.0.36 (my X server is XFree86 3.3.3)

I downloaded the entire Base directory from snoopy.net (except for
freetype1.1 since I already have 1.2 installed) into a /tmp/GNOME
directory.  Doing "rpm -Uvh *.rpm" worked (seemingly) like a champ.  No
failed dependencies, and all installed.

I changed my .xinitrc from "exec afterstep"  to "exec gnome-session"
First problem:
Upon doing "startx -- -bpp 16"
   It _tries_ briefly to start up X, but crashes saying that it couldn't
load the library libgif.so.  Indeed, no such "library" exists.  In
/usr/lib I have libgif.so.3 so I figured I'd be clever and symlink it via
"ln -s /usr/lib/libgif.so.3 /usr/lib/libgif.so"

This worked, I no longer receive that error.

Second problem:
  Now it tries a little longer to start my X session, but still crashes.
This time with the error:
   Error in loading shared libraries:
   /usr/lib/libgnomeui.so.32:  undefined symbol gdk_imlib_get_cache_info

What is wrong?   Checking packages:
%> rpm -q imlib imlib-cfgeditor
imlib-1.9.5-1
imlib-cfgeditor-1.9.5-1
%> rpm -q gnome-libs
gnome-libs-1.0.8-2rh

Was the symlink only covering something deeper?  I followed the directions
to a "T" making sure to remove old devel packages for GIMP and IMLIB.

%> rpm -q gsl guile umb-scheme xsceensaver
gsl-0.3b-4
guile-1.2-6
umb-scheme-3.2-7
xscreensaver-2.34-1
%> rpm -q gimp-devel imlib-devel gtk+-devel
package gimp-devel is not installed
package imlib-devel is not installed
package gtk+-devel is not installed
%>

Any ideas/suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Cheers,
-Don

Donald A. Peterson	| DPETERSO@DARWIN.HELIOS.ND.EDU
Department of Physics	| http://www.nd.edu/~dpeterso