Re: GNU Midnight Commander 4.5.30 is released

Matthias Warkus wrote:

> +++ Wed, Apr 14, 1999 at 03:30:36PM -0400 +++
> Kevin Atkinson e-mails me. Film at 11. Reply right now, after the break.

> > So you are dismissing my entire argument because I am referring to
> > windows....
>
> No. Seems I created that impression, though; sorry for that.

That's OK.

> > I list many reasons.  To me it is more natural for it to always prompt.
>
> Yes. "Always prompt" should be the default behaviour, but one should
> be able to switch it off.

That is exactly what I am saying.  I am glad you agree.  (When I say
prompt I mean bring up a menu like GMC currently does for a middle drag,
not a dialog box)

> > Let me rephrase the troublesome points.
> >
> > 1) Middle button dragging is annoying with a two button mouse which many
> > people who currently own a PS have.
>
> Unfortunately... :)
> I get your point, yes.

Thanks.

> > 3) For new users it just easier as they will always know what is going
> > on when they drag an icon. (ALSO It is unlikely that a new user coming
> > from windows will do a middle drag especially if they have a two button
> > mouse.
>
> Probably we should try to have "Always prompt" made the default, and
> allow for an entirely configurable DnD behaviour (defaulting to
> middle-button drag) if "Always prompt" is switched off.

Glad you agree to what I originally proposed.

Now we just need some one to implement it.  I would really like to hear
what the head developers of GMC think of this idea.

--
Kevin Atkinson
kevinatk@home.com