Re: GNU Midnight Commander 4.5.30 is released

Matthias Warkus wrote:

> +++ Wed, Apr 14, 1999 at 01:18:30AM -0400 +++
> Kevin Atkinson e-mails me. Film at 11. Reply right now, after the break.
> >
> > 1) Middle button dragging is annoying with a two button mouse which many
> > people switching over from windows will have.
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > 2) It is WAY to way to easy to accidentally move or copy a file or
> > directory just by a random mouse click action.  Especially for new users
> > as GMC doesn't prompt after a mouse action.
> > 3) For new users it just easier as they will always know what is going
> > on when they drag an icon as GMC mouse actions differ from windows.  It
> > is unlikely that a new user coming from windows will do a middle
>                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > drag--especially if they have a two button mouse.
>
> This is not the point. Make it user-friendly and newbie-friendly. Ease
> of transition from Windows is not the main issue.

So you are dismissing my entire argument because I am referring to
windows....

I list many reasons.  To me it is more natural for it to always prompt.
Windows doesn't not always prompt and sometimes I am not entirely sure
what it is going to do.

Let me rephrase the troublesome points.

1) Middle button dragging is annoying with a two button mouse which many
people who currently own a PS have.

3) For new users it just easier as they will always know what is going
on when they drag an icon. (ALSO It is unlikely that a new user coming
from windows will do a middle drag especially if they have a two button
mouse.

Happy.

--
Kevin Atkinson