HOWTO get another WM with GNOME RPMS

By default the RPMS we've made require enlightenment. This is a a compromise
to make absolutely sure any newbie can get it installed and it works. I'm
sure you have 20-30 RPMS installed on your system you never use, so just
ignore enlightenment like the rest if you don't want it :)

Seriously, you get the RPMS all installed. To use another window manager
(hey, at the Labs we think of _everything_), try this:

- run the GNOME Control Center
- pick 'window manager'
- if your window manager is shown, select it in the list and hit 'Try'
  it should switch to your window manager.

  Otherwise - select edit and enter the info requested. I would guess that
  only icewm, windowmaker, and enlightenment are session managed. For the
  rest just leave that option off.
  Then select your wm in the list and hit 'Try'

- if you window manager is now running, hit 'Ok' to close the window manager
  properties capplet.
- now under the 'Foot' menu on the panel, select 'Settings' and then
  'Save Current Session'. This will make sure next time you login to GNOME
  your window manager will get started. It will also save your current
  desktop, so make sure its like you want!

You have to be using 'exec gnome-session' to start GNOME for this to work.
But everyone _should_ be running that way, so I doubt its an issue.

Michael Fulbright
drmike@redhat.com
Director - Red Hat Advanced Development Labs