Re: RHAD Labs announces GNOME 1.0 RPMS for Red Hat Linux 5.2

>> >What I really want to know is why the gnome-core rpms have a
>> >dependency on the enlightenment Window Manager?  I cannot see any
>> >reason why. Gnome works fine with WindowMaker for me. It probably
>> >does with other WMs too.
>> >
>> >The reason I ask is that I think dependencies should not be made
>> >by the packagers preference of software unless there are some
>> >_real_ reasons. As I installed starbuck yesterday on my home
>> >computer I was forced to install enlightenment to satisfy the
>> >dependency of the gnome-core. When I finally got all installed I
>> >had to do a rpm -e to remove enlightenment.
>>
>>  I just compiled gnome from source without
>> freetype/fnlib/enlightenment, but I couldn't get gnome-session to
>> start with wm2. The panel plus wm2 worked fine, and I changed
>> "gnome-wm --sessionmanagerstuff" to "wm2" in
>> /usr/local/share/gnome/default.session and "WM=gnome-wm" to
>> "WM=wm2" in /usr/local/share/gnome/default.wm, but gnome-session
>> wouldn't start. (Btw my ~/.gnome/default.wm kept changing itself
>> back to "WM=xterm" - anyone know why?)
>
>Did you try leaving /usr/local/share/gnome/default.session as
>gnome-wm, and export the WINDOW_MANAGER environment variable with a
>value of "wm2"?
>The gnome-wm script checks that first, and if it's not set, it tries
>a list of likely window managers (wm2 is not on this list).  If it
>finds nothing, it sets the window manager to be xterm, so you can at
>least do something.

This is what I should have tried, instead of fooling around with the
default.session. Thanks!

>I don't know if wm2 supports session management.

I'm working on it - that's why I want to run Gnome with wm2 ;)

>If the above
>doens't work, you might want to try explicitly the following as a
>.xinitrc:
>   wm2 &
>   exec gnome-session

Again, this works with e installed, but if you haven't installed e or
set WINDOW_MANAGER then gnome-session doesn't start.

>But try the WINDOW_MANAGER trick first.

Any chance of adding this to the Gnome website's "installing Gnome
from tarballs on Red Hat 5.2" page? It still says to edit
default.session. Other than that I found the page extremely helpful.

Thanks again.

 - Michael Rogers