Debugging problems

Hi all,

1. When gmc crashes, it often reloads within 30 secs. Using the advice
   previously posted to this list, I attempted to use gdm to get a
   stacktrace. Unfortunately, gmc always reloads far quicker than I am
   able to get gdm to debug it! This is causing quite a problem. Any
   known ways around this bearing in mind gdm always requires me to be
   root to execute it and it can only be executed from a gnome session?

2. Using the Gimp 1.1.4 I find that File -> New -> Advanced always locks
   up everything on screen bar the mouse (no menus work either). I have
   to hit CTRL-ALT-Backspace and then my screen is filled with the debug
   menu in a horrible loop. I cannot seem to exit this without using a
   three-fingered-salute. How do I get out on this without rebooting?
   Also, how do I know whether this is a GTK (1.2.1) bug or major Gimp
   bug?

TIA
--
James Green