Re: graphical ssh based file browser.. (a gmc addition ?)

On Tue, Apr 13, 1999 at 08:56:43AM -0500, Miguel de Icaza was heard to say:

> >   (1)  It's *slow*.  My suspicion is that gmc isn't reusing connections and
> >      reconnecting for every operation (ssh connections take a long time to
> >      negotiate)
>
> Strange, it actually keeps a single connection for the whole life of
> the VFS.

  Ok, it must have been a slow network connection that day or something (over
a local Ethernet no less!).  I just copied a bunch of files over an ssh link
with gmc and it went incredibly quickly.

> >   (2)  Double-clicking on a directory in icon view doesn't enter it (this might
> >      be a general gmc thing, I don't know)
>
> Strange.

  Yep, it seems to be gone now. :-)

> >   (3) *** I can't link from the fish filesystem to the desktop.  I know there
> >      are probably some technical difficulties here, but a way to do this would
> >      be excellent.  (also, a little icon next to "Location" that represents the
> >      cwd -- like Netscape -- would help for this).
>
> This should be fixed on CVS.   Next release will include the fix.

  Which part, the location icon or the fish-linking? :-)

> Best wishes,
> --
> miguel@gnu.org

  I have a feature request for fish, if you don't mind. :-)

  How difficult would it be to enable execution of files over an ssh link?
Does VFS support doing this?  It should at least be possible to run X programs
this way (using ssh-forwarding)

  Daniel

--
THERE IS NO HOPE BUT US.  THERE IS NO JUSTICE BUT US.  ALL THAT IS, IS OURS.
BUT WE MUST CARE.  FOR IF WE DO NOT CARE, THEN WE DO NOT EXIST...