Re: compression and archive support for gmc?

On Mon, 12 Apr 1999, Ryan Leduc wrote:

> Sri Ramkrishna wrote:
> >

> > > I found myself using gmc the other day, wishing I could select a
> > > directory,
> > > and create a tar file of it..  Or select files, and create a tar file
> > > graphically..
>
> With respect to creating tar files:
>
> I've heard of several gtk applications to create a graphical front end
> to tar..
>
> Perhaps gmc could be used to select the files, and then pass this list
> to the tar GUI, plus maybe information about base directory..
>
> A generic interface could be created so you could use your tar GUI of
> choice..

well gxtar (gxtar.netpedia.net or Gnome CVS) supports drag and drop from
gmc, both opening and adding to archives.  If you want to make gmc
play better with gxtar, I'll be happy to make any neccesary changes to
gxtar.  There are two other front-ends I know of: guiTar and  Xunzip,
but I like gxtar best :)

Christopher Rogers      Stevens Institute of Technology
gandalf@pobox.com       http://www.pobox.com/~gandalf

If at first you do succeed, try to hide your astonishment.