Re: compression and archive support for gmc?

Sri Ramkrishna wrote:

> > I found myself using gmc the other day, wishing I could select a
> > directory,
> > and create a tar file of it..  Or select files, and create a tar file
> > graphically..
> >
> > Another thing would be able to select a file(s) and have them gzipped..
> > If I select a directory, then all files in all subdirectories are
> > gzipped..
> >
> > I think it would be great to have this graphically integrated with gmc..
>
> Sounds like what you want is a plug-in type system, where you could select
> a file or files, and then be able to work an action on them.  I bet you
> could use something like gnome-perl/gnome-python, and write quick scripts
> that can do what you are asking for.  You could write some basic plug-ins
> that comes with gmc.  What do other people think?  Does this sound like a
> good feature?

With respect to creating tar files:

I've heard of several gtk applications to create a graphical front end
to tar..

Perhaps gmc could be used to select the files, and then pass this list
to the tar GUI, plus maybe information about base directory..

A generic interface could be created so you could use your tar GUI of
choice..

Ryan

         Ryan Leduc         |    leduc@control.toronto.edu

   University of Toronto    |   'Any mans death diminishes me,
                            |    because I am involved in Mankind;
   Dept of Electrical and   |    And therefore never send to know
    Computer Engineering    |    for whom the bell tolls;
   Systems  Control Group   |
                            |    It tolls for thee.'

    Toronto, Ont, Canada    |         John Donne