Re: Glib/GTK

On Mon, 12 Apr 1999 jgauthier@kamikaze.whiteboard.net wrote:

> How can I install new copies of these libraries without having to
> recompile everything dependant on them?  (this is a full compiled install)

By fully compiled, do you mean that glib or gtk+ are compiled as well?  If
so, than there is no problem.  A new version of glib or gtk+ will only
install over files that it is binary compatible with.  For example, glib
version 1.0.6 used the filename "libglib.so.1", while both glib 1.2.0 and
1.2.1 use the filename "libglib-1.2.so.0".  When you install glib version
1.2.1, it will overwrite version 1.2.0, which is fine, since all 1.2.0
programs will work just as well or better with 1.2.1, and it will leave
1.0.6 alone, letting older glib programs have their own version of the
library.

For people who use RPMs of glib and gtk+, before you upgrade anything
else, make sure you have the four files from ftp.gnome.org (alpha and
sparc users, get alpha.rpm and sparc.rpm files, of course):
  glib-1.2.1-1.i386.rpm
  glib10-1.0.6-4.i386.rpm
  gtk+-1.2.1-2.i386.rpm
  gtk+10-1.0.6-4.i386.rpm

Then, from the directory where these files are, run:
rpm -Uvh glib-1.2.1-1.i386.rpm glib10-1.0.6-4.i386.rpm gtk+-1.2.1-4.i386.rpm gtk+10-1.0.6-4.i386.rpm

This will get you your old versions and new versions of glib and gtk+ on
your system, and make it easy to upgrade the new version without harming
the old.

Best of Luck,
-Gleef