Re: saving/restoring panel configuration

Ryan Leduc wrote:

> The biggest annoyance I've had with gnome is the panel crashing and
> loosing my panel configuration (command launcher, pixmaps, etc for the
> panel)
>
> After talking to George Lebl, I figured out how to save and restore my
> panel configurations..

After a couple of barf-offs, I hit on the solution of deleting all my .gnome*
(and .enlightenment) subdirectories, starting GNOME (and enlightenment) up
once to configure everything the way I like, and then tarballing said
directories and leaving the tarball parked in my home directory.

Now if it gets in that mode where it crashes every time I try to log in, or
if it comes up without all my panel apps, I just log off, ctrl-alt-F4 to get
a CLI login, restore the tarball over the top of the existing directories,
ctrl-alt-F7 to get back to the the xdm login, and away I go.

Minimal hassle; works like a charm.   (So far.)  If I change the config, I
just have to make sure and update the tarball before it bombs off again.

Bobby Bryant
Austin,