saving/restoring panel configuration

The biggest annoyance I've had with gnome is the panel crashing and
loosing my panel configuration (command launcher, pixmaps, etc for the
panel)

After talking to George Lebl, I figured out how to save and restore my
panel configurations..

I've submitted this to the faq, but here is the info for anyone else
with this problem..

(I'm assuming you are starting gnome with gnome-session)

Do the panel configurations that you want, and then exit x-windows

Goto ~/.gnome  and look at file: session

You should see a couple of lines like:

12,DiscardCommand=rm -r /home/leduc/.gnome//panel.d/Session-a01087/
12,RestartCommand=panel --sm-config-prefix
/panel.d/Session-a01087/           	        --sm-client

this tells you where your current panel configurations are being stored.
backup directory ~/.gnome/panel.d/Session-a01087

If you lose your panel configuration, you can restore it as follows.
Exit x-windows (if you are in it), and restore the saved directory.

Edit session, and change the lines like above so that they reference
this directory.

ie:  change

12,DiscardCommand=rm -r /home/leduc/.gnome//panel.d/Session-b0356/
12,RestartCommand=panel --sm-config-prefix /panel.d/Session-b0356/

12,DiscardCommand=rm -r /home/leduc/.gnome//panel.d/Session-a01087/
12,RestartCommand=panel --sm-config-prefix /panel.d/Session-a01087/

start X again, and all should be well.

Ryan

         Ryan Leduc         |    leduc@control.toronto.edu

   University of Toronto    |   'Any mans death diminishes me,
                            |    because I am involved in Mankind;
   Dept of Electrical and   |    And therefore never send to know
    Computer Engineering    |    for whom the bell tolls;
   Systems  Control Group   |
                            |    It tolls for thee.'

    Toronto, Ont, Canada    |         John Donne