Trouble in "nonroot" account

Thanks in advance,

I have recently upgraded from gnome pre1.0 to the current gnome 1.0+
(various updated packages... as recent as I could find "RPMed").

In root, everything runs pretty well.

But in any other account...  the system menu is not built... it looks
like the menu with "pre 1.0"
while in root, it is fully populated.
I can run many apps from nxtern but they dont show up in any menus.
I can't run the gnomecc (crashs in gmem) which is a major bummer.
I can't run gnome-terminal (same gmem crash).

I trashed all of my ".gnome*" directories in the account and had them
rebuilt. I even created a new account and started up gnome... same
stuff.

Any ideas of what's going bad??

Thanks again,
Alan