Re: Cannot login with GDM

On Sat, Apr 10, 1999 at 05:41:42PM -0700, David Hampton wrote:
> With GDM installed, I cannot log in as any user other than root.  From
> the log messages, apparently GDM does start up X, but I cannot connect
> to the X server.  The error messages from my .xsession-error file are
> attached below.  Does anyone know how to fix this problem?  I'm running
> Redhat Rawhide with the gdm-1.0.0-20 RPM installed.

[chomp]

> Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
> Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: hampton-pc:0

I ran into this problem a while ago; the fix is to slightly modify your $prefix/etc/gnomerc:
mine originally looked like:

/opt/gnome/bin/gnome-session

I changed it to look like:

xhost +localhost
xhost +meta
/opt/gnome/bin/gnome-session

Be sure to replace xhost +meta with xhost +hampton_pc

--
Colin Walters
walters.159@osu.edu

PGP signature