Re: Is it just me, or is E (and gnome) SLOW!

Ronald de Man wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 10, 1999 at 12:12:02PM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> >

> > On Sat, 10 Apr 1999, Devin Butterfield wrote:
> > >
> > > Has anyone noticed this problem?
> > >
> > > Does anyone have any suggestions for how to deal with this...how to
> > > speed things up a little??
> > >

> > Doesn't seem slow here on a P233. There are two special cases of slowness
> > recently noted: 1) if apps hang on startup they are fooling with esound
> > 2) if you have an 8-bit display Imlib can take a long time to dither
> > pixmaps. Both of these are being fixed.
>
> Maybe it depends on the definition of slowness. But in my experience
> moving around windows in E is very sluggish. That's on a P233 as well.
> On equivalent computers running Windows 95, moving around windows is
> much smoother. For a while I thought it must be X. But a few weeks ago
> I was helping out a friend on a P75 running fvwm2 (stock RH 4.2)
> and it was incredibly smooth.
>
> I'm using icewm at the moment. It's quite a bit faster than E, but
> still more sluggish than fvwm2 on a P75.

I'm running G/E on a P233 laptop, and IceWM on a desktop P233.  Both
seem to run quite acceptably fast, although I must admit, Ice is
generally snappier.

I'm running 800x600 16bpp on the laptop and 1024x768 16bpp on the
desktop - I find higher colour depths are more sluggish, even in W95
(which I also run on the desktop PC [only until I can find suitable
replacements / equivalents to Agent (for news) and Eudora Pro (for
email).  Those tools are too useful, and more importantly, _useable_,
for me to just abandon.]).

Cheers!
Jon