Is it just me, or is E (and gnome) SLOW!

Hi,

I have noticed (in the two week period of trying out gnome with E) that
E is slow...or gnome is slow. Let me clarify...when I say slow, I mean
that dragging windows around seems sluggish and unresponsive. This also
is the case with scrolling through directories in gmc. In general, the
updating of the images throughout the environment is just plain
sluggish.

I read on the E website that there is an issue with x-windows that may
result in "flickering" windows...but I'm not sure if this is the same
problem.

One thing I do know is that when I tried KDE I did not notice even 1/4
the sluggishness as with gnome and E.

Has anyone noticed this problem?

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to deal with this...how to
speed things up a little??

Thanks,
Devin.