Re: Install instructions?

In message <19990410131402.B12946@vorlon.babylon>, "Jesse D . Sightler" writes:
+-----
| The old gtk 1.0 apps won't work with gtk 1.2 because of changes in the newer
| version
| of gtk.  RPM does a lousy job of handling library versioning, so they hack ar
| ound
| it by including old versions with weird names like "gtk10-1.0".  Sick, but ef
| fective.
+--->8

You can get it to work if you "rpm -i" instead of "rpm -U" (at least, it
looked like that worked last time I tried it), but then you get into other
problems: mainly with confused sysadmins when two versions of a package are
simultaneously installed, but probably also with e.g. the RH system upgrade
procedure.

--
brandon s. allbery	[os/2][linux][solaris][japh]	 allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator	     [WAY too many hats]	   allbery@ece.cmu.edu