Re: Install instructions?

On Sat, 10 Apr 1999 10:18:00 Jon Earle wrote:

> What is the difference between glib-1.2.0 and glib10-1.0.6, and
> gtk+-1.2.0 and gtk+10-1.0.6?  To me, they look like different versions
> of the same libs (but then, why the "10"?)
>
> I installed them a while ago when I first got this whole shebang
> working, and just nodded wisely and said "yes" when the docs said put
> those in.  I have no idea what all the subtle and not-so-subtle
> differences are between the seemingly different versions of the same
> libs.  Why do I want all four of these installed?

Because old (nonGnome) apps use gtk 1.0 and new (Gnome+Other) apps use gtk 1.2.

The old gtk 1.0 apps won't work with gtk 1.2 because of changes in the newer version
of gtk.  RPM does a lousy job of handling library versioning, so they hack around
it by including old versions with weird names like "gtk10-1.0".  Sick, but effective.

Jesse D. Sightler
http://www3.pair.com/jsight/

"An honest answer can get you into a lot of trouble."
         - Anonymous