Re: Install instructions?

Aaron Prohaska wrote:

> In the install instructions for gnome 1.0 on page
> http://www.gnome.org/start/getting_rh.shtml it says to "Move glib-1.2.0,
> gtk+-1.2.0, glib10-1.0.6, and gtk+10-1.0.6 (and related devels if

This may seem like a stupid question, but bear withg me please.  I'm not
a library guru (yet) like the rest of you.  I just follow directions and
try to learn as I go.  :)

What is the difference between glib-1.2.0 and glib10-1.0.6, and
gtk+-1.2.0 and gtk+10-1.0.6?  To me, they look like different versions
of the same libs (but then, why the "10"?)

I installed them a while ago when I first got this whole shebang
working, and just nodded wisely and said "yes" when the docs said put
those in.  I have no idea what all the subtle and not-so-subtle
differences are between the seemingly different versions of the same
libs.  Why do I want all four of these installed?

> necessary) out of the download/install directory.". Why is this? I know
> what my download directory is, but I don't know where my install
> directory is going to be since I don't no where the rpms are going to
> install themselves.

I would interpret this to mean the location where you downloaded the
files too, though I'm not sure why they'd want you to move those files
(but I haven't read the install guide in a couple of weeks.)

Cheers!
Jon

--
"God does not subtract from man's alloted time on Earth, those hours
spent