what controls gmc Location: field??

Hi,
me again with the GDK errors and text gnome text fields crashing.  just
a few questions that might help me isolate my problem.

What is it that makes the gmc "location"  different from the netscape
"location" field.  when i put a cursor in gmc's field it turns the
entire field black and illegible.  netscape does not do this.  I found
that if i cover  gmc with another wind then uncover it, it then displays
field black on white like it should but the minute i select the window
it turns black again.  It's almost like it's related to my video card
driver.  I'm using the Riva TNT driver which is pretty new to Xfree86
3.3.2.  anyone know if there is a problem with this?

any suggestions are welcome.

thanks,
rob