Why does the panel crash again and again??

Hi,

I'm giving gnome a test drive so to speak and really like it so far, but
am having a frustrating problem with the panel.

It seems that every time I start configuring the panel (adding applets,
etc) it crashes, and disappears. Then upon restarting gnome, the panel
is still not there!!! I have to manually start it from the command line.
To make matters worse, after a panel crash, all my launchers and other
stuff is gone...the panel forgets everything!

Please help! What can I do to fix this problem?

By the way, I using all the recent releases (just got them off the
website last night).

TIA!
--
Devin.