Re: Sound Problem

On Tue, Apr 06, 1999 at 11:08:50PM +0100, James Green wrote:
> In message <Pine.GSO.3.96.990405160337.18304A-100000@college.antioch-
> college.edu>, Josh Steiner <jsteiner@antioch-college.edu> writes
> >Gnome uses esd, the Enlightened Sound demon.  /dev/dsp can only ever be
> >used by one process at a time, so what esd does is mix down multiple
> >audio streams from separate programs and send that mixed sound to the
> >sound device. If your program does not support esd, simply type:
> >
> >> esddsp mpg123 blah.mp3
> >
> >that should do it :)
>
> So, when I'm in a normal gnome session, got Enlightenment and esd giving
> me the sounds of menu clicking, etc., and then I click on the provided
> GQMpeg icon in Multimedia, then click play and mpg123 at the console
> level tells me it can't open /dev/dsp, what should I do? I can't surely
> use your line above then cause esd is already running ???

That's exactly the idea. esddsp will catch all references to /dev/dsp and
make mpg123 work. If gqmpeg doesn't support esd, try to start it as
esddsp gqmpeg.

If you get clicks (and you will if you use enlightenment), then set
the buffersize to something like 1024. Either

  esddsp mpg123 -b 1024 blah.mp3

from the commandline, or do 'esddsp gqmpeg &' and set the buffersize in
Preferences/Output.

If you want to start gqmpeg by clicking on an icon, figure out how to
change the invocation of gqmpeg to 'esddsp gqmpeg'.

> Besides, I thought the whole point of a desktop menu was to let the user
> point and click to run apps, not generate this confusion and error?

Then don't try to run non-gnome apps like mpg123.

Ronald