Sound Problem

Hi all,

Everything gnome-wise is installed as per default except it is told to
use Enlightenment rather than gnome-wm.

Problem: Before I run startx to get Gnome/E sound works fine. When I run
Gnome/E I get Gnome sound samples but mpg123 reports that /dev/dsp can't
be accessed or something. I log-out and try again and the same error
occurs. I haven't done a thing to the sound bits, and even running
sndconfig after closing Gnome doesn't fix it; I have to reboot (even
logging out completely doesn't fix it).

Any ideas?
--
James Green