RE: GDM shows not human users at login

On Tue, 6 Apr 1999, Manuel A. McLure wrote:
> GDM uses /etc/shells to determine who to show. If a user
> does not have a shell assigned that is listed in
> /etc/shells, the user will not show up

As a clarification for those who don't know:
Login shells are assigned in /etc/passwd. Example of a line:
daemon:x:1:1:daemon:/usr/sbin:/bin/sh
gives user daemon a login shell of /bin/sh

In addition to making daemon show up in the login widget,
this has the undesirable effect of letting people (possibly)
log in as daemon. Now, who would ever legitimitely be doing
that? Here's the modified line:
daemon:x:1:1:daemon:/usr/sbin:/bin/false

Now it's impossible for daemon to log in, and the picture
won't show up.

--Jon, N9RUJ	jnieho38@calvin.edu	www.calvin.edu/~jnieho38
`finger jnieho38@calvin.edu` for geek code block.

There was never an N64 version of Fire and Darkness. The good
people at IGF confused "Windows NT" and "NinTendo".
--From the F&D website. Actually, I see little difference...