Re: rpms

Brady Hegberg wrote:

> I've seen this posted a few times but I''ve never seen this command work
> nor have I ever met anyone who was able to make it work.  Perhaps you must
> have an EXTERMELY clean system for this command to work?

As long as your rpm installation is working fine, there shouldn't be a
problem.

'rpm -ta package' extracts the .spec file out of the tarball, unpacks
the tarball to /usr/src/redhat/BUILD, (assuming the spec file was
valid), and then begins the build procedure.

If you're not running as root, or the tarball's name is not exactly
right, (usually packagename-version-1.arch.rpm, substituting all those
for your system's equivalents), then the build will usually fail before
it gets a chance to begin.

Also, from time to time you get bad .spec files, e.g. a spec file for
1.0.4 was left in a 1.0.5 tarball. Such probs can usually be rectified
by inspecting/editing the spec file though.

Btw, to whoever does the packaging, I had to manually copy the
default.session file into $(RPM_BUILD_ROOT)/usr/share in order to get a
gnome-core 1.0.5 tarball to make rpm's. Not sure if anyone else has had
this problem though...

Hope that helps you "roll your own" rpms anyhow. :)

--
Lee.
http://atlas.cs.york.ac.uk/~lrpm100/

"I may be dead, but I'm still pretty."