Re: SaveYourself command?????

On Fri, 2 Apr 1999, Nils Jeppe wrote:
> Hello, I just got a little dialog that says:
>
> panel --sm-config-prefix /panel.d/Session-a17900/
>
> No response to the SaveYourself command. The program may be slow, stopped
> or broken. You may wait for it to respond or remove it.
>
> What's this supposed to mean?
>
> It has happened about 2-3 times today, and never befor.

Gnome-session periodially sends a "SaveYourself" signal to all of the
programs it tracks (including panel).  It waits a certain length of time
for a response, and puts up the dialog you described if it doesn't get
one in time.  It might have not gotten one because your program crashed
(in which case you would remove it), your machine is slow, or, in the case
of the panel, some applet is messing with operation (for example, I get
the message when I trace an applet with gdb).

The way I see it, this message shouldn't appear during normal operation of
GNOME, so the feature could probably use a little tweaking, particularly
for slow machines.  I plan on sending in bug reports on it as I narrow
down times it appears when it shouldn't.

Best of Luck,
-Gleef