Re: Compiling gtk+ and other libraries fails and fails and fails and fails...

Thank you Daniel.
As a matter of fact you were right on at least one count. I just installed
the XFree86-devel rpm and also put the tar file in the /usr/src folder and
that did the trick as far as gtk+ is concerned. The Gnome/E pair remains
bloody unstable. So, boldly enough I moved on to compile the
gnome-libs-1.0.5 from tar, and I got the following error message:

. libs/liggnome.so: undefined reference to 'gtk_item_factory_add_foreign'
. libs/liggnome.so: undefined reference to 'gtk_menu_get_accel_group'
. libs/liggnome.so: undefined reference to
'gtk_menu_ensure_uline_accel_group'
make [3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make [3]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/gnome-libs-1.0.5/libgnomeui'
make [2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make [2]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/gnome-libs-1.0.5/libgnomeui'
make [1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make [1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/gnome-libs-1.0.5'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

That's it. That's the error message. I wonder if this has anything to do
with the original libraries with which the tar file I have were compiled? I
also wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that for me to be able
to compile gdk+ I had to actually copy the gtk-config script from
/usr/local/bin (where the compilation put it) to /usr/bin (where the old
1.2.0 one used to reside and where gtk+ was, somehow, still looking for it?