Re: Compiling gtk+ and other libraries fails and fails and fails and fails...

On Sat, Apr 03, 1999 at 02:41:21PM -0500, Marco Fonseca was heard to say:
> So, I decided to recompile gtk+ itself. I unistalled the existing 1.2.1. Got
> the error message saying that it needed the glib-config script. I found two
> copies of this and I just copied the one the compilation wanted to the place
> it wanted it in. That worked fine. But then immediately after checking for
> that script I got another error saying that the compilation couldn't find
> the X11 libs. I did upgrade the XFree86 RPMS to 3.3.3.1. I did try to set
> the environment variable by doing something like:
>
> #export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/bin/X11
> #LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>
> (The second line only returns the message: "directory exists". Don't know if
> that means that the environment variable is thus rightly set or what).
>
> But doing this didn't cause gtk+ to find the X11 libs. I must thus conclude
> I don't know how to set the environment variable, don't know what X11 libs
> gtk+ is looking for and how to direct its bloody attention to them, or don't
> know what else is going on.

  It's looking for the development files is my guess, you should probably
install any packages that look like xlib-dev or xfree86-dev.  (you need more
files to compile programs then to run them--headers, static libs, etc).  If
this isn't the case, I don't see what the problem is.

  I'm afraid I can't help you with the rest of your problems, I don't know
a whole lot about RPMs; if the packages are properly designed I think you
shouldn't be able to create a broken situation dependency or compatability-wise
without forcing something--if package A requires version X of package B,
version Y of package C, and package D, and you try to install a version of
D that would break B, you should have to either not install the new D or else
remove A and B.  This assumes, though, that the dependencies for the package
are correct; a lot of people have been complaining about broken RPMs on here,
and I suspect that it's difficult to make un-broken packages for beta software
whose dependencies are also beta and keep changing themselves.

  Daniel

--
  Fate always wins...at least, when people stick to the rules.

             -- Terry Pratchett, _Interesting Times_