Re: GFTP errors... source package

On Sat, Apr 03, 1999 at 09:56:48PM +0000, Hall Stevenson was heard to say:
> This time I downloaded and compiled the source file. Running
> "./configure" reported no errors.
>
> When I run "gftp", it gives a similar, if not the same, error as before:
>
> Gtk-WARNING **: /usr/lib/libgdk_imlib.so.1: undefined symbol:
> __deregister_frame_info
> [1]+  Segmentation fault      gftp
>
> Does this program work for anyone ? Does it not like the version of
> "imlib" that I have (version 1.9.4-1...from RPM) ? Do I need to create a
> link from "libgdk_imlib.so.1" to "libgdk_imlib.so.1.9.4" ?
>
> Thanks again,
> Hall

  It looks like gdk_imlib was compiled with glibc2.1.  You'll have to either
find a version that doesn't depend on glibc2.1, recompile gdk_imlib (which I
think is part of Imlib?), or upgrade your libc (not recommended unless you
know what you're doing--if you're running Debian, upgrade to potato; if you're
running RedHat, upgrade to -- Rawhide (?))

  I'm not sure that's the problem, though; if it were just an undefined symbol
I'd think gftp wouldn't run at all.  Have you tried getting a backtrace?

  Daniel

--
  "People would panic?"
  "Very briefly, I'm afraid."

     -- The dangers of colliding with a star examined;
           Terry Pratchett, _The Light Fantasic_