Re: esound feature request

Szabo, Balazs wrote:

> Hello!
>
>   I  am using  esound for  quite  some time,  and  I've found  it as  an
> extremely useful thing.
>   I don't  know how  it works  exactly, I  hope I  won't write  too much
> stupid things in the followings.
>   Esound  will be  more more  professional, if  it can  be installed  as
> setuid root, and  it could use the default linux  realtime scheduler. It
> can  avoid the  sound-problems with  high load.  Is it  possible to  do?

Can't see why not...

> Will it affect other realtime tasks?

Depends how you prioritize.  If you set the priority level below all of
theother RT tasks, it won't affect them.

>   Can the stream-playing  be put realtime also? If yes,  esound cound be
> a very good base  for writing modules, and demos could  be used this for
> downloading the  samples, and play them.  It of course will  be required
> putch changing  and any  other features to  be implemented,  like volume
> envelope (which are already in the TODO file).
>   How about it?

If you did set esd as realtime, it still wouldn't help with streaming
because the client hasto keep streaming audio to it (unless it sends many
frames ahead, and
esd uses a large buffer).

This is the main reaon I'm not using esd for my sound stuff (of course, I
use
it for gnome though...)

Andrew Clausen