Re: "proprietary" vs. polluting (was Re: propriatary question)

If a program wants to be "comprehensive" i.e. use the files from
several different desktop distributions, window mangers, whatever,
it's not hard to walk the subdirectories of /usr/share and find
everything the program wants. The panel already does something similar
to build the "Red Hat menus" - it doesn't restrict itself to
/usr/share/gnome.

Not to trivialize your concern, which is a valid one, but the
technical solution is straightforward. Having /usr/share/gnome
provides a clean "directory namespace", so I can know what software
package _put_ those files there in the first place, instead of
everything heaped in one directory.

	   - A

: I am hoping in the future to have KDE read desktop files (they are like the
: same as .kde so it wouldnt be hard) ... then gnome, enlightenment, kde and
: whatever can read the same files in the same place. A standard if you
: will....
:
: /usr/share/apps
:
: to say that a .desktop file is a gnome file is not true...
: enlightenment != gnome but enlightenment can read .desktop files as well....
:
: if you want every program to produce .desktop files, you should have to
: produce them only once.