Re: gnome-ppp

Sorry for the delay:
>have you tried other ppp methods?
[...]
>into your kernel (or loaded as a module).

Important too:
/bin/setserial /dev/ttySx irq yy
with "x" one less than COM and "yy" the correct irq. It is very important
for example for internal PnP modems, cos isapnp sets irq to something but
the rest of the world still believes that COM3-cua2-ttyS2 has irq 4. A
interface to set things in one pass will be really nice. Or at least isapnp
should say that it configures the board in some way but you must still use
setserial with modems. Gnome-ppp could have this in the docs too.

Also nice: set debug of pppd to maximum and copy (add line "*.* /dev/tty12"
in /etc/syslog.conf) all logs to tty12, so ctrl + alt + f12 will give you a
real time report of what is happening.

<RANT>
It is a real problem from my point of view and I should check with friends
to know if they can connect and what they do with which hardware. RH, for
example, has no /etc/rc.d/rc.serial but checks for one in another rc.*
script. It should have all scripts cos if you see it you will look inside
and "ooohhh here is a comment and an example, maybe I should try" instead of
"well isapnp is ok, so why it does not work and with Windoze does... I set
the irq, no?" (the learn by example is tried and true, RTFM helps but is
more funny and frequent to do things when you see files here and there full
of examples).

IMHO it is causing havoc between users, I "smell" that some friends that can
not connect are cos they have the same problem. I tried last Xmas with no
progress (free time and Linux courage wasted) and now this smaller holidays,
due ISP problems (good thing to increase courage), I decided to retry
reading all man pages and HOWTOs from begining to end and checking all
hardware settings, avaliable commands & params, and prayers from any
religion; obviously when "/set/setserial /dev/ttyS2" told me that irq was 4
I realized why all my pppd tries never get a rcvd, only sent. And then the
"so what does isapnp, a preconfig of the real config?" appeared in my mind.

Ok, maybe I do not get the real idea about isapnp purpouse, but if my
suspicions become true... we are lots of guys out there with the same stupid
problem.
</RANT>

GSR