Re: Dual libPropList's & cvs

On Wed, Sep 30, 1998 at 01:12:01AM -0700, Alex G. Paoli wrote:
> Topic: dual developments of LibPropList
>
> This is a question posted to me due to the fact I get both GNOME and WM
> mailing lists. Also I ran into some problems, so this is how I found out
> about this:
As I mention at the bottom, the WM people have already had a fit about this.

> Interesting little problem guys. We seem to have discrepancies with lPL
> (libPropList) thar resides on gnome's CVS and the lPL that comes with WM
> (Window Maker).
*shrug*  they should be just about the same unless it has been updated in WM
since it was added to gnome's cvs.

And even more, libproplist is compiled statically, and doesn't create shared
libraries, so if you compile the apps with lPL, it shouldn't matter.

> It seems that someone here took 0.7.1 and modified it to gnomes needs
> without notifing the rest of the world thus making WM unstable (for a few
> things). the WM developers say that I should use thier copy of lPL instead
> of Gnomes, however, this breaks some of GNOMEs stuff.
It was not modified for our needs.  We simply fixed two bugs in it and sent
the fixes back to Bjoern.  We asked Bjoern if it was ok for us to put it in our CVS server.

> Due to the fact that Lpl was Developed by Mr. Bjoern should he not decide
> where a single cvs of lPL should reside that all can use.. This dual lPL
> and dual anything could cause problems. Remember WM is gaining popularity
> and GNOME is too, so if the two are to be friends then someone has to make
> sure this doesnt happen.
The WM people already had their tantrum about this.  As far as i'm concerned,
they can get over it ;-)  We don't intend on making libproplist different than
it is, but only to use it.  I'm sure that if someone wants to keep the
libPropList in gnome cvs up-to-date that wouldn't be a problem.