Gnome on Solaris

I wanted to find out what all the GNOME buzz was about so I got
a bunch of GNOME source and began building.

What I found was that when I ran:

  gnome-libs-0.30/test-gnome/testgnome

and selected "app-helper" from the menu it
knocked me right out of X and back to the initial login shell.
A core file is produced (both for testgnome and X) but
without line numbers (compiled with gcc -g -O2) its of little
use.

My machine:

> uname -a
SunOS edinburgh 5.5.1 Generic_103640-12 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-1

My window manager is vtwm.

My question is: where is the problem? GNOME, my window manager,
some solaris libraries, ...?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Richard Emberson