Re: Questions regarding Control-Center.

On Mon, 28 Sep 1998 jrb@mit.edu wrote:

> > I agree with this, except keep the cancel button just to allow wary user
> > to be sure their requests were cancelled :).  Also, is it possible to
> > have a capplet control its subtree in the tree view in the control panel?
> > If not does anybody mind if I try to add this feature?  It is useful for
> > certain control applets, especially for gnome-pilot :).
>
> How do you mean?  Do you mean allow a capplet to change the text in the
> subtree, or do you mean have them add/remove items?  Could you give a
> specific example where this would be useful?

Ok, the reason for needing to have capplets control their subtree is
completely separate from the tabs thing.  Here is why it would be nice to
have capplets control their subtree.  Ok, for gnome pilot, if a single
user has more than one pilot, we wan't the user to be able to configure
conduits differently for each pilot.  Now, the most intuitive way that I
can think of is to have a Pilot tree on the left part of the control
center.  Under that pilot tree we have a list of pilots.  Each of these
pilots has another sub tree with various conduits.  Now, the problem is
that this list of conduits and pilots changes dynamically, as the control
center is running.  In fact, unless someone hand edits the config files,
it is the only way the list of pilots and conduits can change.  Because of
the very large number of pilots and conduits possible(espially conduits)
It isn't appropriate to have a tab for every pilot, and sub tabs for every
conduit.  This can be confusing to the user.  I would prefer to see the
tree on the left change, since each different pilot can be thought of as a
peripheral, and each conduit a add on to that peripheral, sort of like a
bus( ok so maybe a bus is a stretch :) ).

  I'd rather see, if
> necessary, another level of tabbed notebooks, perhaps on the left.  I
> would like to add multi-capplet support (similar to the multi-applet
>:) anyway, if that would address some of this.

Oh yes, with the subtree modification, we would also need multi capplet as
well, wouldn't make sense without it.  The capplet controlling its subtree
could tell the control center which capplets to run for some of the sub
nodes, or to just call back a function of the original capplet insetead
for other sub nodes.