Re: Questions regarding Control-Center.

On 25 Sep 1998, Owen Taylor wrote:

> Consider what happens when you bring up a capplet, make changes in it,
> and then switch to another capplet, before applying your
> changes. Using notebook tabs for active capplets is an attempt to
> solve a UI flaw in KDE's control panel where unapplied changes can
> easily be lost.

This is a good point I hadn't thought about.  Hmm, it would be nice to be
able to have tabs in a capplet though.  What about having side tabs with a
good amount of padding around the capplet to make it clear the tabs swithc
between capplets and not features within the capplet?  These tabs would be
sort of like OS/2's note book.  I can't recall, does gtk+ support side
ways text or is sideways text a bad thing?

Another option is to have the tree mark capplets that are running and mark
the parent nodes if the sub tree is collapsed.  Even if the capplets
controlling there subtrees thing is there, the look and feel can be made
consistent by having the capplet notify which subtree element was
modified.  When someone tries to quit the control center a warning dialog
can be popped up if there are unsaved changes.

> I'm not sure what Jonathan finally decided, but one possibility
> that was discussed was making "Revert" a single-level undo,
> while "Cancel" reverts back to the state when the capplet was
> opened. This would make trying and undoing changes incrementally
> more convenient.

This would be pretty useful.  I don't remember how it is now when I was
looking through the code.