Re: Questions regarding Control-Center.

On 25 Sep 1998, Jens Lautenbacher wrote:

> IMHO it makes no sense at all that capplets get added to a notebook
> when I browse through the tree on the left side, and that they will be
> "closed" when I press OK. The notebook could be used INSIDE a single
> caplet if it provides for extensive options. But why not use the tree
> to select between them? What sense does it make to need to browse
> through the tree, double click to add a capplet to the working area,
> and then be able to switch between them via the notebook tabs?????
>
> My suggestion would be: selecting an item in the tree shows it. Remove
> the CANCEL button as there is no need for it. OK becomes APPLY, which
> unconditionally applies the changes made but doesn't close the capplet
> of course. TRY and REVERT work like they did. After all, there's no
> need to close a capplet at all -- it will be closed when the control
> panel is left -- or maybe when another item is selected.

I agree with this, except keep the cancel button just to allow wary user
to be sure their requests were cancelled :).  Also, is it possible to
have a capplet control its subtree in the tree view in the control panel?
If not does anybody mind if I try to add this feature?  It is useful for
certain control applets, especially for gnome-pilot :).

Manish Vachharajani
<mvachhar@vger.rutgers.edu>