Re: Relocatability of packages

> On Fri, Sep 25, 1998 at 04:11:56PM -0400, Tim Moore wrote:
> > The Doctor What wrote:
> > > This would be the best solution, but I'd rather see if it's
> > > possible to modify the linux program loader to understand that if
> > > the program trying to be run ends in <file>.app and is a
> > > directory, then it should run the file <file>.i386 or whatever the
> > > architecture is under that <file>.app directory.
> >
> > Well I just want to comment on this. This isn't really an option at all.
> >
> > 1) It won't work cross platform.
> >
> > 2) It would never get into the main kernel source, and requiring users
> > to patch their kernels is probably the *least* usable thing we could do.

Well...I didn't phrase that well.  My thoughts were that it'd be nice to
have a complete system-wide solution to this problem. The current methods
(whether it is encap, /opt, RPM, DEB or whatever) are all rather limited
and/or combersome to use.

The reality is that (as you mentioned) if we did come up with the best
standards in the world, it would work best if other platforms and
applications supported it.  Which isn't likely.

Ciao!