Re: Relocatability of packages

James> Currently, with a lot of GNOME programs, there is only one part
James> of the program that relies on absolute paths.  That is the call
James> to bindtextdomain, which usually passes in a directory name
James> taken from the makefile.

James>   bindtextdomain(PACKAGE, gnome_locale_dir())

You're forgetting that the Gnome libraries use their own translation
domain.  That means that they must be able to find their own install
location, which might be different from the package's install
location.

It would probably work to require the user to install the Gnome
libraries in a fixed place, but then to let the applications be
location-independent.  This seems yucky to me.

James> What do others think of this?

I'm generally in favor of location independence.

Tom