Re: glibconfig.h in glib

Dave Glowacki <dglo@ssec.wisc.edu> writes:
> Raja R Harinath <harinath@cs.umn.edu> writes:
> > Dave Glowacki <dglo@ssec.wisc.edu> writes:
> > > In glib/Makefile.am, glibconfig.h is installed in $(configincludedir),
> > > but 'configincludedir' is set to '$(pkglibdir)/include', which
> > > eventually expands to "${exec_prefix}/lib/glib".
> > >
> > > Shouldn't it be installed using '$(pkgincludedir)' instead?  That way it'd
> > > end up as "${exec_prefix}/include/glib/glibconfig.h"
> >
> > Nope.
> >
> > 	$(pkgincludedir) == $(prefix)/include/glib
>
> Ahh, you're right.
>
> > `glibconfig.h' is based on the output of the `configure' process, and is
> > architecture dependent ==> should go into $(exec_prefix).
>
> But should an include file really be installed
> under 'lib'?  Wouldn't "${exec_prefix}/include" be better?

> > This should be done automatically if you use the `glib-config' program,
> > or use the AM_PATH_GLIB autoconf/m4 macro.
>
> I just re-ran 'configure' in the ORBit directory and it added the right stuff
> to get glibconfig.h included.  I've got a 'cron' job which does a weekly
> 'cvs update' & 'make install' and this caused it to fall over.
>
> I guess the ORBit Makefile needs a dependency on the 'Makefile' target so
> that when 'glib-config' changes, the Makefile is regenerated (maybe by
> adding $(GLIB_CONFIG) to BUILT_SOURCES in Makefile.am?)

I don't think it is worth the effort, and you're misusing BUILT_SOURCES,
big time.  It is an implementation detail that Makefile depends on
$(BUILT_SOURCES) for maintainer `Makefile's.

I would'nt bother adding $(GLIB_CONFIG) as an explicit dependency of
`config.status'.  Running `./config.status --recheck' manually once in a
while seems enough to me.

- Hari