Re: glibconfig.h in glib

> Dave Glowacki <dglo@ssec.wisc.edu> writes:
> > In glib/Makefile.am, glibconfig.h is installed in $(configincludedir),
> > but 'configincludedir' is set to '$(pkglibdir)/include', which
> > eventually expands to "${exec_prefix}/lib/glib".
> >
> > Shouldn't it be installed using '$(pkgincludedir)' instead?  That way it'd
> > end up as "${exec_prefix}/include/glib/glibconfig.h"
>
> Nope.
>
> 	$(pkgincludedir) == $(prefix)/include/glib

Ahh, you're right.

> `glibconfig.h' is based on the output of the `configure' process, and is
> architecture dependent ==> should go into $(exec_prefix).

But should an include file really be installed
under 'lib'?  Wouldn't "${exec_prefix}/include" be better?

> > Aside from that, my 'ORBit' build just fell over in ORBit/src/ORBitutil
> > because trace.c includes <glib.h> which includes <glibconfig.h>.
> >
> > Assuming the above fix is made to glib's Makefile.am), either 'glib.h'
> > should be including <glib/glibconfig.h> or everything which includes
> > <glib.h> needs to build with "-I/path/to/gnome/include/glib" (obviously
> > the 'glib.h' fix is preferable...)
>
> This should be done automatically if you use the `glib-config' program,
> or use the AM_PATH_GLIB autoconf/m4 macro.

I just re-ran 'configure' in the ORBit directory and it added the right stuff
to get glibconfig.h included.  I've got a 'cron' job which does a weekly
'cvs update' & 'make install' and this caused it to fall over.

I guess the ORBit Makefile needs a dependency on the 'Makefile' target so
that when 'glib-config' changes, the Makefile is regenerated (maybe by
adding $(GLIB_CONFIG) to BUILT_SOURCES in Makefile.am?)