Re: Problems with Balsa and a few suggestions

On Thu, Sep 24, 1998 at 04:10:10PM -0000, Haukur Hreinsson wrote:
> [snip]
> >> When composing, long lines get a little arrow to the right and the line
> continues on the next row. When the cursor is positioned below such a line
> and the user presses the up-arrow, he probably thinks that the cursor will
> go one line upwards but instead balsa treats the lines as one line and
> positions the cursos above all the lines. This is logical I guess, since the
> lines really are only -one- line, but it's really annoying when you are
> trying to edit a mail without using the mouse. Try it and see what I mean :)
> >>
> >> Thanks for a great app, I'm sending this from Balsa :)
> >>   Richard
> >
> >I haven't compiled Balsa yet (I plan on it) but I hope it can do
> >automatic line limits to something like 70 characters or be user
> >adjustable. By keeping it all one line as mentioned above it doesn't
> >work well with replies as you can see by the above text.
>

> Perhaps at the same time a more advanced feature could be implemented --
> namely to clean up, reflow and re-'>'-ize blocks of included text. If this
> is done, perhaps it would also be a good idea to use "2>" instead of ">> "
> and "3>" instead of ">>> " and so forth. But that may not me as important in
> mail as on usenet.

I'd have to agree that this would be a _really_ welcome feature.  Even
if you set word wrap to around 70 characters, lie I do, you still get
some long threads that end up commenting lines beyond 80 chars.  I'm
not so sure about the "2> " instead of "> > ", I'd have to see how
that looks, but the mail client being able to reformat the text, _and_
correctly position the ">" characters would be really coolyou still

--
Ian Peters
itp@andrew.cmu.edu