Extreme difficulty

I have just spent the last 8 hours getting gnome to compile. Now that I
have it compiled and installed into /opt/gnome, I am unable to see
ANYTHING work. Here is the error I receive when trying to run
"gnome-session":

SESSION_MANAGER=local/pc1:/tmp/.ICE-unix/14641,tcp/pc1:3702

Gdk-ERROR **: an x io error occurred
aborting...
IOT trap/Abort

And if I try again (without deleting ~/.gnome and ~/.gnome_private), I
get:

** ERROR **: Could not create per-user Gnome directory </root/.gnome> -
aborting

aborting...
IOT trap/Abort

I have compiled and installed the latest from GNOME CVS:

glib
gtk+
libIDL
ORBit
imlib
libgtop
gnome-libs
gnome-core
gnome-common
gnome-guile
gnome-objc

And guile-1.2 from an external site.

I have tried with AND without a window manager running. I have tried on
two different X dispays. I have done it under three logins, including
root all with the same errors.

I receive the same error no matter what app I try executing, including
ee.

I am running Linux 2.1.119 with libc5 (latest) and all the latest libc5
tools (ld.so, etc).

--
Mark.

-*
Mark R. Buechler, Mentasm System Administrator
Mentasm Network Information Services (http://www.Mentasm.com)
*-