Re: 3d

On Tue, 22 Sep 1998, Phillip Neumann wrote:

> I just get my new 3dfx card and after playing some games, am asking
> myself if there are plans for some 3d application. I would like to see a
> really good GUI (in 3D) for unix.

Good luck!  Nobody knows what a "good" 3D interface is.  All the 3D GUIs are
experimental.  Feel free to try them out.  Furthermore, there is no reason
to assume that a 3D interface would be superior to a 2D one.  After all,
computer screens are two-dimensional.  It could only make it harder to reach
the objects you're looking for, like having to go across your house to get
your hammer when you're working in another room.  On the other hand, it
could be used to good effect when mapping real-world layouts, such as
security systems.

/-------- Quantum Seep, qseep@iname.com ---
  "His funny bone's connected to the M-bone"
   PGP fingerprint: 5B 3B 7B EC AA 5B 4B 7F  65 7D 2A CD 69 11 29 2A