How did this happen?

Hi,

I hope I don't sound to foolish, but I have what seems to be a strange
situation (at least to me).  When I first installed gnome using CVS I
created a seperate directroy for each package (opt/gnome/glib,
opt/gnome/gtk+, opt/gnome/ORBit, etc).  This worked ok initally, but as time
went on I have been having more and more problems compiling things because
of the autogen.sh scripts (I think it's because it was looking for the
different *.m4 files in one location and they were spread all over the
place).  So I removed the directory structure and started from scratch
(minus the generic share directory which has some config files I wanted to
keep) and went back to reinstall everything in /opt/gnome.  What I have come
across when compiling some packages (not all glib, gtk, and libgtop worked
fine) is that it is looking for packages (specifically include items) in the
old directory structure and I can't figure out why.  I have checked the
autogen.sh scripts, the configure scripts -- infact I examined the files in
the directories using grep.  I made sure ldconfig was setup correctly , but
still couldn't find the problem.  I have gotten around the problem by
creating the old directories and making a symbolic link to the actually
directory it is suppose to be going to.  This really isn't the right
solution, but it works.  Could anyone clue me in to what I missed and how to
fix this wierd problem.  Thankx

Nathan Alonzo Smith
TSX-5 SpaceCraft Engineer